1 cup Rice
1/2 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal) , soaked and drained
1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
2 Green Chillies , sliced or chopped
1/2 teaspoon Ginger , grated
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
Salt , to taste
Yield: 1 servings
1. To begin making the Chana Dal Khichdi, wash the rice and chana dal with water. Soak each of them in water separately for about an hour.
2. Heat a pressure cooker and add chana dal in it. Cook it till the cooker releases 1 whistle as we want to cook the dal only half. Once done, switch off the heat and keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a wide pan, add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cinnamon and asafoetida. salute it for about 30 seconds.
4. After 30 seconds, add green chilies and ginger and cook them until the ginger is cooked very well.
5. Add rice, cooked chana dal, turmeric powder and salt according to taste and cook for a minute.
6. After a minute, add 2 cups of water. Mix it well and cook it for about 20-25 minutes on a medium flame till it becomes dry and tender. Once done, garnish it with some chopped coriander leaves.
7.Serve Chana Dal Khichdi with Gujarati Kadhi or any raita of your choice.